Canoga Theater

21622 Sherman Way,
Canoga Park, CA 91303

Unfavorite 3 people favorited this theater

| Street View

The Canoga Theater was built in 1926 at a total cost of $50,000 which included the price of and installation of a Robert Morton pipe organ which accompanied the silent movies.

In its later years of operation it became a porn cinema, being re-named Pussycat Theater. This closed when the theatre was irreparably damaged in the 1994 Northridge earthquake.

After eventual demolition a new funky theatre was built on the site to replace it. Known as the Madrid Theatre, it serves as a 430 seat (stalls and balcony) performing arts facility, operated by the Valley Cultural Center and the City of Los Angeles Cultural Affairs Department.

The Madrid Theatre is now the West Valley’s premier performance venue

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 21 comments)

decoteau
decoteau on July 17, 2007 at 2:47 pm

Interesting article….

View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on July 31, 2007 at 8:18 pm

Here is a June 1950 ad from the Van Nuys News:
http://tinyurl.com/24rdqu

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on August 10, 2007 at 11:26 pm

An article in the LA Times dated 1/19/66 describeda contentious hearing in which a neighborhood group was attempting to revoke the Park Theater’s police permit. The charge was that the “art” films the Park was showing were lewd and obscene.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on September 21, 2007 at 6:46 am

Here is a 1968 ad from the Van Nuys News:
http://tinyurl.com/3xptv6

JayAllenSanford
JayAllenSanford on August 8, 2008 at 7:20 am

New book-length Pussycat Theatre history from the San Diego Reader:
View link

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on April 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Here is a 1984 photo. The late Marilyn Chambers was headlining:
http://tinyurl.com/cpuyls

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on May 9, 2009 at 8:57 pm

Here is a May 1971 ad from the Valley News:
http://tinyurl.com/ozfd4m

Lavarus
Lavarus on November 4, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Chuck: The Baronet Theatre was a completely different venue, located on Topanga Canyon Blvd. about one mile away. Far as I know, The Baronet was never a Pussycat Theatre…although it did screen some racy midnight movies.

vokoban
vokoban on July 28, 2010 at 5:44 pm

(July 3, 1927 LA Times)
RESEDA TO GET FIRST THEATER
RESEDA, July 2.-Reseda is to have its first motion-picture theater-a building that is to cost $35,000. This is the announcement made by N. Scheinberg and M.P. Horwitz, owners and operators of the Van Nuys Theater, and the Madrid Theater at Owensmouth. The Reseda house will be erected on Reseda Boulevard, north of Sherman Way. The Sloan Building Company of Los Angeles will have charge of construction. Plans will be by Roy Reeves, Van Nuys architect. Scheinberg and Horwitz are well-known Van Nuys men. Following their success at Van Nuys, they built the Owensmouth house a few months ago, with the promise that a similar playhouse would be erected in Reseda.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on July 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm

As noted in the article vokoban quoted in the previous comment, this house was called the Madrid Theatre when it opened in 1926. The house operated under that name at least into the early 1930s. It had been renamed the Park Theatre by 1966.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater