Arnold Theater

802 Arnold Avenue,
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ 08742

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

One of the few independant theaters in the Monmouth/Ocean County area, the 750-seat Arnold Theater was opened in 1935. It was the prime destination for the kids of summer vacationers on rainy summer afternoons. It was closed on February 19, 1981 and had a brief period as a church. It reopened as a live theatre from 1982 until August 1984. Converted to office space in the mid-1980’s.

Contributed by Jim Thatcher

Recent comments (view all 7 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on March 26, 2005 at 2:47 am

Seating capacities for the Arnold Theater vary from edition to edition of the Film Daily Yearbook. 1941:400 1943;668 1950;590

teecee
teecee on April 1, 2005 at 8:39 am

590 as of the 1951 FDY – consistency!

RobertR
RobertR on June 20, 2005 at 9:46 am

In 1971 I show this as a Walter Reade house.

teecee
teecee on March 2, 2006 at 4:52 am

Listed as part of Independent Theater Service, Inc. in the 1956 Film Daily Yearbook.

hondo
hondo on November 9, 2013 at 1:43 pm

The converted building is located at 802 Arnold Ave.

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on February 9, 2019 at 5:00 am

Harry May built a new theatre at Arnold Avenue G.O. Jones was the architect. The theatre appears to have launched in 1935 and had 750 seats. In its formative years, the Arnold was a summer only operation closing in the winter after the vacationers had left. One vacationer was cowboy sidekick Gabby Hayes who made a live appearance selling out the theatre.

The theatre closed in 1957 and was a Walter Reade Circuit property. The theatre appears to have a period of vacancy and was brought back with live shows in the early 1970s on a sublease with Reade. On January 11, 1974, the theatre got back into regular theatrical operation with the film, “The Way We Were.” Robert W. Buhout received the Citizen of the Year Award by the Elks Club for his purchase of the operation from Reade and his restoration of the facility.

The theatre was renamed the Arnold Cinema by James H. Clayton and closed February 19, 1981 with “Ladies and Gentlemen, the Rolling Stones.” It had a brief run as a place of worship. Live theatre producer Gil Rambach took on the facility for live plays in 1982 listed at 500 seats. That ran until August of 1984. The building got a shocking makeover and was transformed into the Cedar Point Office Center, an office building.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater