Majestic Theater

255 Cypress Street,
Abilene, TX 79601

Unfavorite 1 person favorited this theater

Majestic© Abilene

Viewing: Photo | Street View

This was a fairly plain theater, a block away and across the street from the Paramount Theatre, but much more modern. Opened September 7, 1925. It was very run-down, even when I was a kid in the 1960’s.

Contributed by Steve Rogers

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on April 9, 2005 at 6:21 pm

The Majestic Theatre was also operated by Paramount Pictures Inc through their subsidiary Hoblitzelle & O'Donnell.

It is listed as operating in the Film Daily Yearbook,1941 with a seating capacity of 1,585.

Silicon Sam
Silicon Sam on May 24, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Looking at Street View, it’s now a parking lot….

dallasmovietheaters
dallasmovietheaters on June 6, 2015 at 2:40 pm

The Majestic Theatre was built by C.E. Fulwiler. The Majestic’s Grand opening was September 7, 1925 with Mrs. H.D. Carsner at the Wurlitzer organ, Syd Chaplin’s “Charley’s Aunt” on the screen and would be operated in its formative months by W.O. Shackelford. The opening crowd was reportedly the largest single crowd for one indoor performance ever to that date. Raleigh Dent of Dent Theatres soon acquired the theatre from Shackleford. Dent would also be a short-term operator but would make history by playing the first talkies ever seen/heard in Abilene. It was a big event taking place on November 5, 1928 with the film, “Uncle Tom’s Cabin.”

On December 14, 1929, to announce its new operators in the Publix Theatre Circuit which had major stockholder interest in Dent Theatres. A Publix locomotive was greeted by Abilene Mayor Thomas Hayden Jr. KFYO radio showed up at each of the new Publix-held theaters for special broadcasts starting with the Rex, then the Queen and finally the Majestic. The Depression was taking its toll both on the citizenry and the theatre circuit. Publix went into severe financial difficulty and closed the Queen and then on March 7, 1931 closed the Majestic after showing “Way for a Sailor.”

Texas Consolidated took on the Majestic after a summer fire closed the Queen as one of Abilene’s first-run houses. Texas Consolidated now had the Paramount, Majestic, and Palace. Re-opening the theater on October 14, 1935. Mayor C.L. Johnson was on hand for the festivities and the first film, “Shipmates Forever.” Interstate would take on Texas Consolidated and assumed control of the Majestic.

On Feb. 25, 1954, the Majestic went from being in the Interstate Theatre Circuit to the Trans Texas Circuit. On its 50th Anniversary, the theater was between its adult period and its forthcoming Spanish Language period showing “Walking Tall II" and managed by Charles Wolfe. In 1977, Basil Huckabee subleased the theater from Wolfe converted to Spanish Language films; he had done the same previously at the Crescent Drive-In and was currently operating the Marine and Berry as Spanish language houses in Fort Worth.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater