4884 Eagle Rock Boulevard,
9 people favorited this theater
This theatre opened as the Yosemite Theatre on 3rd May 1929 with two days of vaudeville shows produced by local radio station KMTR. It began screening silent films two days later, from the 5th May 1929. The theatre was built and operated as an independent by Mr J.T. Young and Mr H.E. Allen.
It closed down in July 1930 for improvements which included the installation of talking picture equipment and it re-opened under the management of Vox Theatres Inc. who also operated the nearby York Theatre and Eagle Rock Theatre. The re-opening took place on 7th August 1930 with the Bert Wheeler & Rob Woolsey comedy film “Cookoos”.
The Yosemite Theatre was described as being designed in a Mediterranean style in which architect Kenneth A. Gordon had designed an auditorium set in a patio garden. The proscenium arch exits and light niches forming openings in the high stucco wall with tile coping, back of which coloured lights give a restful and pleasing effect to the auditorium, while the azure ceiling resembles the sky. Back of the grilled openings on the sidewalls, landscapes depicting the mountains and scenery of California add another interesting feature to the interior.
In 1937 the name was changed to New Eagle Theatre after an extensive re-modelling by its new owners Vennicoff Theatres Circuit. The New Eagle Theatre re-opened on 10th June 1937 with the movies “Lloyds of London” and “We Have Our Moments”. In 1940 it changed its name again, dropping the ‘New’ and becoming the Eagle Theatre.
From 1976 to 1979, it became part of the Pussycat chain of cinemas playing adult porn movies. In 1983 it was completely re-decorated, with new stage draperies, new seats and a Dolby sound system was installed and it became an Independent cinema, playing
regular movies at a low admission price. Seating had been reduced to 800.
Sadly, it succumbed to the multiplex boom and closed in 2001.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater