Walker Theater

116 W. Broad Street,
Richmond, VA 23220

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Walker Theater

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Opened in 1911 as the Little Theatre with a seating capacity of 386, it was especially built for showing motion pictures but did have a small stage. It closed in 1920 and spent several years under different managements open and closed.

In 1936 it was renovated and re-opened as the Maggie Walker Theater (later known as the Walker Theater) it was operated by Lichtman Theatres and catered for a ‘Negro’ audience.

It closed in 1963 but re-opened briefly as the Edison Theater screening ‘art’ films, one of which was reputed to be a ‘snuff film’.

It was taken over by the Theatre IV Theatre Company and initially known as the Regency Theatre, but now serves as extra dressing room space and a reheasal room for their adjacent Empire Theatre.

Contributed by KenRoe

Recent comments (view all 4 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on October 10, 2006 at 6:06 am

This is a recent photo of the former Walker Theater.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on September 26, 2007 at 7:34 am

A Moller theater organ opus 1395 size 2/14 was installed in the Little Theater in 1912. Note: $1,500.; With roll Player.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on April 19, 2009 at 10:09 am

This is another photo from 1987.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on February 15, 2013 at 8:58 pm

The permit to build this theater was issued to M. L. Hofheimer. The architect for the project was C. K. Howell, and the contractor was A. C. Houston. A description of Howell’s drawings says that the “…facade features Corinthian columns, masks and garlands, and statuary.” The modern photos linked earlier show that quite a bit of this decoration survived into recent times.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater