Regent Theatre

191 Collins Street,
Melbourne, VIC 3000

Unfavorite 10 people favorited this theater

Regent Theatre

Viewing: Photo | Street View

The Melbourne Regent Theatre opened on March 15, 1929 with Ronald Colman and Vilma Banky in “Two Lovers”. It was one of the largest theatres to be built in Australia by the Hoyts chain, seating 3,277 people in opulent splendour with the largest WurliTzer theater organ installed in Australia at that time. The 4 manual, 21 rank instrument was opened by Stanley Wallace.

At 1:00am on Sunday April 29, 1945 a fire was dicovered by the theatre’s nightwatchman (thought to have begun in the circle area), and the theatre auditorium and backstage area was completely destroyed by the fire. All that remained was the main entrance and foyer. Despite wartime building restrictions, the theatre was completely rebuilt, with a modified proscenium shape and a replacement hybrid WurliTzer 4 manual, 19 rank organ, made up from the Ambassadors Theatre, Perth and the Lyceum Theatre, Melbourne. It was opened by organist Len Davis. The Regent Theatre reopened for business as a movie palace on December 19, 1947 with Maureen O'Hara in “The Homestretch”.

After another long period of successful operation, the Regent Theatre closed once again on 1st July 1970 with Vince Edwards in “The Desperados” and Rachel Romen in “Desert Raven”. The organ had been removed after a final concert in 1969. The theatre was stripped of all its fittings. Plans to demolish the theatre for a multi-level office block were thwarted, thankfully, and the long saga to ‘Save the Regent’ began.

After 23 years of frustration, hope, and tears, a property developer, David Marriner instigated a plan in 1993 to fully restore the theatre. The Regent Theatre was faithfully restored to its original grandeur, even down to the smallest detail. To prepare it for its role as a ‘lyric’ theatre, necessary alterations were made, such as a new sloping floor to improve sightlines, additional height to the flytower, and more dressing rooms.

On Saturday August 17, 1996, Melbourne’s ‘Palace of Dreams’ finally re-opened in true Hollywood fashion with its third WurliTzer organ faithfully installed (this 4 manual, 36 rank instrument was originally installed in the Granada Theatre, San Francisco, California in 1921). The restoration work cost around $AU37 million. Since then the theatre has been the home to some great musical stage productions including, “Sunset Boulevard”, “Show Boat”, “Fiddler of the Roof” with Topol and “The Lion King”.

On 14th November 1997, movies returned to the Regent Theatre for the first time in 27 years, with a fully restored print of “My Fair Lady”, which ran for an extended season.

The Regent Theatre is listed on the National Trust Register.

Contributed by John Adey, Paul C. Lewis

Recent comments (view all 29 comments)

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 5, 2008 at 8:04 pm

This is another 2008 photo.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on January 5, 2009 at 6:04 pm

A December 2008 photo can be seen here.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on March 4, 2009 at 6:33 pm

The year given for this photo is 1964.

MPol on March 4, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Looks like another handsome movie theatre!

JohnHolloway on March 19, 2009 at 11:25 am

Undoubtedly a magnificent cinema gem, but as a “live” theatre, leaves a lot to be desired. Designed for film, the circle/balcony is so far removed from the stage that audiences feel they are sitting in the foyer of The Athenaeum Theatre across the street. Since the renovation, the few film presentations (Gone With The Wind/The Wizard Of Oz/High Society/My Fair Lady) and a few “premieres” have been sadly ruined by lack of screen drapes (in situ) and effect lightings surrounding the proscenium. Now air-conditioned, paint work and murals that survived over many years are now peeling due to the effect of humidity control.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on June 22, 2009 at 1:02 pm

Here is a new link for the Regent website.

Lost Memory
Lost Memory on July 13, 2009 at 4:11 pm

More photos of the Regent are here.

Tinseltoes on August 8, 2012 at 7:29 am

Multi-page 1929 trade article with many photos starts here: archive

Warner on January 15, 2013 at 9:03 pm

A magnificent theatre.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater