RKO Albee Theatre
1 DeKalb Avenue,
15 people favorited this theater
The E.F. Albee Theatre, on Dekalb Avenue, which opened on January 19, 1925, was named after Edward F. Albee (1857-1930). It was originally planned to be named the New Orpheum Theatre. The E.F. Albee Theatre opened on January 19, 1925 with a vaudeville show featuring Bill Robinson and Smith & Dale (part of the Avon Comedy Four). It had crystal chandeliers in the lobby and paintings from Albee’s private collection. It also contained a 40 x 70 foot Czech Maffersdorf carpet billed as the world’s largest rug. It was equipped with a Wurlitzer OP 870-260 special organ with 2 manuals and 16 ranks. Soon after opening it went over to movies.
The RKO Albee Theatre was closed on September 21, 1978 and was demolished in November 1978 to make way for the Albee Square Mall (which itself was demolished in the Summer of 2008). The up-market City Point retail and residential building was built on part of the site, and this contains the Alamo Drafthouse Downtown Brooklyn movie theatre which opened in October 2016. (It has its own page on Cinema Treasures).
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater