218 E. Fourth Street,
2 people favorited this theater
Charles Walker opened his New Princess on Fourth Street on September 6, 1923 after closing his old Princess on Main Street to construct his New Walker Theatre, which later became the Fox West Coast. A 1920s city directory shows that the New Princess was called the Lyric before Walker took it over.
The New Princess, which later was just called the Princess, has a sketchy history. It dropped out of the local newspaper listings, and presumably closed temporarily after December 24, 1926, probably due to the Yost Broadway, which opened in June of that year. The Princess appears to have been open intermittently and was still listed in the local phone directory in 1950 and then disappeared completely. It appeared in the Los Angeles Times independent movie listings from time to time, always with two Spanish-language films. Its ads were never in the local Register newspaper with any regularity. When it dropped out of the Times listings in the early 50s, the local Yost Theatre began to show Spanish-language movies.
Today, the building that housed the Princess still remains but there is no indication that is was ever a theater. No photograph of the Princess could be found but it appears that it was just one tenant sharing the building with other businesses. Its space is now being used as a retail store.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater