No one has favorited this theater yet
The Odeon Theatre, Loughborough was built for Oscar Deutsch as one of his original Odeon chain of cinemas. It was designed by architect Arthur J. Price out of the Harry Weedon Partnership of architects. It opened on 21st November 1936 with Gary Cooper starring in “Mr. Deeds Goes To Town”.
Seating was provided for 1,029 in the stalls on the ground floor and 596 in the circle. Decoration within the auditorium was minimal with troughs of concealed lighting and decorative bands along the walls. The entire exterior facade of the building was covered in Hathernware faience tiles manufactured locally by the Hathern Station Brick and Terra Cotta Company.
The Odeon Loughborough was sold to the Classic chain in December 1967 and re-named Classic Cinema. Bingo was tried out from December 1967 until March 1969 when it became the Vogue Social Club, but films returned and it was taken over by the Tigon group of companies who ran it as the Classic Cinema until final closure with Suzy Kendall starring in “Assault” on 12th January 1974.
The Classic name was transfered to the town’s Curzon Cinema and the Classic (ex-Odeon) became a Mecca Bingo Club. It remains on bingo to date, now known as the Beacon Bingo Club.
In early-2008, English Heritage designated the former Odeon Loughborough a Grade II Listed building.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater