5 Biggin Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Previously operated by: Essoldo Circuit (Contol) Ltd.
Architects: Albert E. Bullock
Previous Names: New Victory Cinema
The Victory Cinema was the first purpose cinema to be built in Loughborough. It first opened on 16th September 1921. It was an opulent Neo-Classical style building located on a side street in the town centre. It was built for and initially operated by the Universal Car Company of Leicester. From April 1933 the Victory Cinema was owned by Charles Deeming who also owned the New Empire Cinema (now the Odeon) in Baxtergate, Loughborough.
The Victory Cinema was the first cinema in Loughborough to install modern technology of the period such as new sound systems (here Western Electric), however ticket prices were expensive to cover the costs. The arrival of the new W.E. sound equipment meant the end was nigh for the ‘in house’ orchestra, however, most of whom moved to the Empire Cinema. This was for a very short period however because the Empire Cinema soon also had sound installed.
The Victory Cinema had a major refurbishment in 1938. Works which were undertaken were internal decorations, new carpets laid, and new seats installed which included ‘double seats’. It was re-named New Victory Cinema for a while.
In 1953 Mr Deeming had sold the Victory Cinema to the Newcastle based Essoldo group. The New Empire was sold also. As Loughborough now had two ‘Essoldo’ operated cinemas, the Victory Cinema retained its name and the Empire Cinema was renamed Essoldo.
Closure of the Victory Cinema came on 17th January 1967, the last film to be screened there was “The Exterminator”. The Victory Cinema was demolished by August 1967 and a Supasave supermarket was built on the site. This was not a great success, and the building was converted into smaller shop units.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.