New Europe Theatre

1499 First Avenue,
New York, NY 10021

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Yorkville Hippodrome was a nickelodeon which opened in January 1909. Showing German-language films at least as early as 1931 when it was known as UFA Cosmopolitan Deutsche Sprechfilm Theatre.

In 1932, it became known as the Tobis Theatre and would continue to show foreign-language films (often Hungarian) by that name until its next change, to Europe Theatre, in 1938.

The theatre underwent a final name change, to New Europe in 1947, and, beginning in 1953, became home to a Jehovah’s Witnesses church.

Contributed by Damien Farley

Recent comments (view all 8 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on September 8, 2005 at 6:42 am

Listed in the American Motion Picture Directory 1914 – 1915 as the Yorkville Hippodrome, 78th Street, New York, NY.

In the 1926 and 1927 editions of Film Daily Yearbooks it is still listed as the Yorkville Hippodrome, 1499 First Avenue, New York, NY with a seating capacity of 300. In the 1930 edition of F.D.Y. it is listed with the same name and address but the seating capacity is given as 309 and it is ‘Closed’.

The next edition of F.D.Y. that I have (1941) has no theatre listed at this address, however in the 1943 edition of F.D.Y. it is listed as the Europe Theatre, 1st Avenue with a seating capacity of 309. In the 1950 edition of F.D.Y. it is still the Europe Theatre, 1499 1st Avenue with a seating capacity of 306. Gone from listings in 1957.

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on May 10, 2006 at 12:26 pm

Advertised as the 78th Street Playhouse for the run of RESERVE ON FURLOUGH in April 1932.

jeffg718
jeffg718 on August 13, 2006 at 4:35 am

Here is a recent photo of the former Europe Theatre. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7r9g5/europetheatre/

jeffg718
jeffg718 on August 13, 2006 at 4:35 am

Here is a recent photo of the former Europe Theatre. http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7r9g5/europetheatre/

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on February 24, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Before this became the German Tobis Kino it was Das Deutschen Sprecfilm theatre by early 1932. Prior to that it may have even been closed for a few years after a projection booth fire in March of 1929.

I can’t find any record of it ever being called the UFA Cosmopolitan. In fact, the UFA Cosmopolitan from 1923 to 1931 was the International on Columbus Circle.

/theaters/2936/

stang119
stang119 on January 21, 2013 at 8:47 am

jeffg718’s photo should be at the top of this entry. Not some obscure street view. (Too many of these on the site) http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7r9g5/europetheatre/

AlAlvarez
AlAlvarez on January 21, 2013 at 8:56 am

stang119, it has to be uploaded for that to happen and only jeffg718 has that right.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 14, 2014 at 2:25 pm

The October 9, 1909, issue of The Film Index had this description of the Yorkville Hippodrome Theatre:

“YORKVILLE HIPPODROME.

“Handsome picture theatre owned by Alfred Weiss, located at 1499 First avenue, New York City. The Hippodrome was opened in January, 1909, and cos $21,000 to build. The dimensions are 22 feet 6 inches front, by 102 feet deep, with an ‘L’ in the rear which gives a width of 39 feet. The auditorium includes a balcony which affords ample seating capacity. There is a commodious stage with a 20-foot opening, with all drops and scenery necessary for vaudeville acts. The lobby is 12 feet deep and brilliantly illuminated. Every possible means of fireproofing the Hippodrome was employed in its construction. The ceiling and walls are of steel and cost $1,600. During the exhibition of pictures the auditorium is made comparatively light by the use of green lamps and shades. Uniformed help add to the general attractiveness of the place. The Hippodrome can be numbered among the best of the modern picture houses.”

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater