Manlius Art Cinema
135 E. Seneca Street,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the village of Manlius, NY in the greater Syracuse metropolitan area. Originally opened as the Strand Theatre on December 6, 1918. Admission was 8 cents or 3 for a quarter. It was a ‘shotgun’ style theatre, which was not uncommon in its day. It competed with two other movie theatres in Manlius: Star Theatre of 1912 and the Marion Theatre of 1914. Sound was added in 1931 and the Strand Theatre was renamed Seville Theatre. It was also at some point named London Theatre.
A fire destroyed most of the building in 1940. The building was extended to its current length of 100ft and is only 17ft wide. In 1948 it was sold for $20,000 and renamed Colonial Theatre. In the 1960’s it became the Billings Theatre and in the 1970’s the F-M Theatre.
In 1985 there was a major renovation during which the center aisle was moved so that two people sit on the left of the aisle and 5 or 6 on the right. The current name was assumed around this time. The theatre went digital in 2012.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater