55 Pitfield Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the north London inner-city district of Hoxton. Opened on 20th January 1914, this never had a specific ‘name’ and was always known as the Cinema. The architects were Lovegrove and Papworth.
Initially an independent cinema, it was taken over first by the Hyams Circuit. From March 1928 Denman/Gaumont British Theatres were the operaters.
It was closed during the height of the Blitz, and re-opened 23rd February 1941. It closed finally on 26th October 1956, one of the cinemas in the first wave of mass closures by the Rank Organisation due to the effects of TV.
The building was sold off by the Rank Organisation in June 1960 and it became used as a meat packers, later a delicatessen importers and wholesalers and an artists studio.
After laying empty for several years it was announced in 2004 that plans were being proposed to re-open the Cinema as a community cinema and workshop with a possible four screens.
After much delay, work got underway in 2009. Unfortunately, the plans had been revised and the auditorium was demolished in May 2009. The facade has been preserved and a new 4-screen cinema will be built behind it. Architects for the new-build are Waugh Thistleton Architects Ltd. The plans never got off the ground and the façade remained for several years, supported by scaffold. It was demolished in the spring of 2016 and plans are for the Curzon Cinemas chain to rent a new 4-screen arthouse cinema in the basement of a new apartment block, which will have a replica of the façade.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater