Hoxton Cinema Theatre
18-20 Pitfield Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the northeast London inner-city district of Hoxton, on Pitfield Street at the corner of Coronet Street. The Theatre of Varieties was opened in 1870. Designed by noted theatre architect C.J. Phipps, it had a seating capacity for 870, with 292 in the pit, 220 in boxes and 328 in the gallery. It was originally part of a public house, which became the section of the theatre where the boxes and gallery were located. It was later known as the Varieties Music Hall, then in 1906 it became the Bromwich Theatre (after owner Frederick William Bromwich) and in 1907 Mortimer’s Theatre (after owner Leonard Mortimer). From November 1909 until 31st March 1910 it was operated by Matthew Raymond, and began screening films as well as hosting variety turns on the stage. It became a full time cinema from 29th November 1913 and was re-named Ye Olde Varieties.
In the 1920’s it was taken over by the Hyams Brothers circuit. Taken over by the Denman/Gaumont British Theatres chain in March 1928, it was re-named Hoxton Cinema Theatre. It was closed in 1941, possibly due to wartime conditions. Gaumont British Theatres continued to operate the nearby Cinema further along Pitfield Street.
The Hoxton Cinema Theatre never re-opened, and was used for storage. It was sold by the Rank Organisation to Walmore Electronics on 24th July 1970, and they used it as a factory until it was demolished in 1981. A block of flats with shops at street level was built on the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater