RKO Prospect Theatre
327 9th Street,
6 people favorited this theater
Built for and operated by Percy Williams as a vaudeville theatre, the 2,448-seat Prospect Theatre opened on September 7, 1914. It was the largest theatre in the Park Slope neighborhood and in the first two years it attracted stars such as Houdini and the Four Marx Brothers onto its stage. It began presenting programs from Keith’s Palace Theatre on Broadway, Manhattan. Films began to be screened as part of the vaudeville program from 1916 when a projection booth was installed at the rear of the balcony. In 1920 a Moller organ was installed. This was replaced in October 1926, when a Wurlitzer 2 manual 10 ranks organ was installed.
It went over to full time movie theatre use in May 1929, and was renamed RKO Prospect Theatre in 1930. However vaudeville returned in 1933.
Closed as a movie theatre in 1967, the RKO Prospect Theatre has been converted into retail space. A store belonging to the C-Town grocery chain occupied the ground floor of the former theatre, and is now Steve’s 9th Street Market. The stage house has been converted into condos. The upper parts of the auditorium survive above a false ceiling over the supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater