2 people favorited this theater
Architects: William Riddell Glen
Functions: Skate Park
Styles: Art Deco
Previous Names: ABC Grimsby, Classic, MGM, Cannon, Odeon
News About This Theater
- Aug 6, 2009 — Regal Cinema Grimsby re-opening
Located on the corner of Freeman Street and Duncombe Street. Originally on this site was the Prince of Wales Theatre which opened in 1886 and was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) in April 1936. It closed later in 1936 to be demolished to build the Regal Cinema. Opened by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) on 4th December 1937 as the Regal Cinema, it had an original seating capacity of 1,966, with 1,280 in the stalls and 686 in the circle. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ which was opened by Wilfred Southworth. The organ console was illuminated.
It was renamed ABC in 1961. In July 1966, the ABC was modernised and alterations took place. The new ABC occupied the balcony of the original cinema building and had a seating capacity of 1,231 when it re-opened on 18th March 1967. The former stalls seating area was converted into a Kwik Save supermarket and shops. The layout was unusual in that the circle started at the very rear of the stalls. The new cinema was also back to front - the original projection box was now above the proscenium, and became the plenum room.
The cinema was tripled (into 300, 225 and 130 seats respectively) in April 1980, and later went through many name changes including Classic, MGM and Cannon, before eventually becoming Odeon in 2001. Odeon spent 100,000 GB Pound rebranding the cinema, yet could not overcome its inherent problems caused by the extremely bad subdivision which led to the two small screens projectors being on angles to the screens.
Unfortunately audiences dwindled, the cinema was a constant attraction for vandals, and closed in 2004. Although there is now a multiplex 15 minutes drive away in Cleethorpes, the site was sold to a local businessman wanting to reopen it. In the Summer of 2009, further proposals were announced that the cinema could be re-opening, and it re-opened as the Regal Cinema in August 2009. Sadly, this was a short lived venture, as it was closed at the end of September 2009. By 2014 the former stalls area (supermarket) had been converted into an indoor skateboard venue named Ghettopark. The 3-screen cinema section remains boarded up and unused.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.