E. 13th Street and Mcgee Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Garden Theater opened on August 13, 1912 and was designed by Kansas City architect Carl Boller — as were the Empress, Gayety, and Midland theaters.
The Garden Theater was fashioned to give the impression of being in an actual garden. Representing the exterior of other buildings, the theater’s interior was dark red pressed brick. The ceiling of the theater was colored to resemble the sky and incorporated paintings of clouds and tiny, twinkling lights to serve as stars.
As a vaudeville house seating 2,600 people, the Garden Theater was Kansas City’s largest theater at the time. Nine years after it opened, the owners of the Garden completely remodeled its interior. The original garden motif was abandoned in favor of a more sedate combination of white and gold walls accented with scarlet drapery.
Sadly, cosmetic realignments were not enough to draw the crowds as waning interest in vaudeville acts contributed to the Garden’s decline, and the theater was demolished in 1930.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater