820 Seven Sisters Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in April 1911 as the Corner Picture Theatre, it was located in the north London inner city district of South Tottenham, on the south west corner of Seven Sisters Road at the junction of Tottenham High Road. It had a prominent position at this busy intersection and the corner entrance of the building had elaborate decorations, surmounted by a dome on top. Seating was provided in stalls and a small balcony area.
By 1926 it had been taken over by Ben Jay who operated several other local cinemas and in 1938 Davies Cinemas were the operators.
It closed on 27th August 1960 with a double bill typical of its usual programmes over the years; Burt Lancaster in “The Flame and the Arrow” and Randolph Scott in “Shoot-Out at Medicine Bend”.
It was converted into an independently run bingo hall which operated for only a few years. It was then converted into a music club, named the Noreik Club and hosted many ‘name’ stars of their day. Keeping the Noreik name, it later became a nightclub, frequented mainly by blacks, and this finally closed in 1979. The building lay closed and boarded up until it was demolished in June 1980. An office block for local Council use named Apex House was built on the site in 1988.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater