64-68 High Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Central Hall Picture Palace on 28th July 1910 with a seating capacity of 323 (223 in the stalls and 100 in the circle). It was designed by architect Edward A. Stone of Norfolk & Pryor, for the Central Hall Circuit. In the late 1920’s some re-building was carried out. By 1937 it was listed as the Roxy Cinema with a seating capacity of 440. The operators were Wardcott Cinemas Ltd.
In 1938 it underwent a modernisation/rebuild to the plans of architect Colin R. Crickmay and the building was given a modern Art Deco facade. The auditorium now seated 500 and the cinema was operated by A. Goldstine.
The Mayfair closed on 28th January 1961 with Stanley Baker in “The Criminal” and Christian Marquand “Passionate Affair” (“Tendre et violente Elisabeth”). It was demolished and a church hall named Loyola Hall (used by the Catholic church opposite) was built on the site. Currently used by the Brazilian based UCKG church.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater