Odeon Stamford Hill
1a Amhurst Park,
1 person favorited this theater
Located in the inner north London district of Stamford Hill. One of several prestigious Regent Theatres that were built for the Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT) circuit, in this case it was joint promotion of Gaumont British and PCT. It opened on 18th February 1929 with Janet Gaynor in “Street Angel”.
The architectural style could be described as early Art Deco style with a Classical Italian influence and architect W. Sydney Trent was given credit for the design, assisted by his father William E. Trent. Located on a prominent corner site at the busy intersection of Amhurst Park, Stamford Hill and Clapton Common Road, it was the largest cinema in the district. Flanking each side of the entrance was a block of residential flats named Regent Court, which were built soon after the Regent Theatre had opened.
There was a spacious foyer which had a marble floor, the lower walls were in Italian Travertine and there was a coloured glass dome in the ceiling. Beautiful doors which were glazed and had etched Art Deco figures on them led through into the inner lounges in stalls and circle levels. The main feature of the auditorium was a huge 70ft diameter dome that had a delicate lattice pattern. The theatre had a fully equipped stage and dressing rooms and there was a Wurlitzer 2Manual/9Ranks theatre organ. There was also the additional facility of a cafe for the use of patron and non-patrons.
It was re-named Gaumont Theatre from 24th January 1960 and was re-named Odeon from 21st October 1962 to bring it into line with other Rank Organisation cinemas.
The Odeon closed on 16th September 1972 with the double bill programme Shirley MacLaine in “The Possession of Joel Delaney” and Mike Raven in “Crucible of Terror”.
The building was boarded up and lay unused until it was demolished in the Spring of 1984. A Safeway supermarket was built on the site, the two flanking blocks of flats from the original 1929 scheme were retained, one is named Regent Court. Safeway moved out in the mid-2000’s and it became a Somerfield supermarket, and in December 2010 a Sainsbury supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater