158 Clapton Common,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Located in the northeast London inner city district of Stamford Hill. Opened as the Stamford Hill Cinema on 26th December 1925 with Edmund Lowe in “The Fool”. It was an independently operated cinema, but from the 2nd January 1928 was taken over by the United Picture Theatres circuit.
Architect George Coles designed a functional cinema that had all seating on one level (there was no balcony). The facade had a Classical style which had a pediment on top, the auditorium was decorated in a slightly Moorish style.
It was re-named the Super Cinema in 1947 and from 4th January 1948 was taken over by Associated British Cinemas (ABC). It closed on 7th October 1959 with a re-issue of Danny Kaye in “Up in Arms” and Audrey Dalton in “This Other Eden”.
Its design and size made it an ideal candidate for conversion into the lastest craze, ten pin bowling. The Super Cinema became the first ten pin bowling alley to open in Britain, opening on 20th January 1960. It only lasted for a few years and when the bowling ‘fad’ passed by, the building was demolished and a Sainsbury supermarket was built on the site. That building continues in use today as a Netto supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater