53 S. Main Street,
Salt Lake City,
1 person favorited this theater
Previous Names: Empress Theatre, Paramount-Empress Theatre, Paramount Theatre, Paramont Theatre
Opened as the Empress Theatre on October 31, 1911. It was renamed the Paramount -Empress Theatre in 1916 later becoming the Paramount Theatre. It was taken over by Joseph L. Lawrence Theatres and remodeled in 1941 to the plans of architects Alton B. Paulson & R. Lloyd Snedaker. It reopened as the Paramont Theatre on November 20, 1941, but the owners were taken to court by Paramount Pictures Inc. for a breach of copyright in the theatre name and it was renamed renamed Uptown Theatre July 23, 1942.
The theatre was closed August 1, 1971 and was demolished to make way for the ZCMI Center shopping mall. Because of concerns from the mall’s owner, LDS Church, about the showing of R-rated movies, a new theatre was not built to replace the Uptown Theatre. The mall is also closed on Sundays.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater.