58-78 High Street,
3 people favorited this theater
Located in Southall, Middlesex, to the west of what is now part of Greater London. Built as one of the original Oscar Deutsch chain of Odeon Theatres, it opened on 17th August 1936 with Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. in “The Amateur Gentleman”.
Architect George Coles (who also designed the Chinese styled Palace Cinema around the corner) opted for a modern Art Deco style for the Odeon. The auditorium lay parallel to the road from which the building was set back slightly. The main entrance block was clad in cream faiance tiles and was relieved by a large window over the canopy. Inside the auditorium, seating was provided for 1,122 in the stalls and 458 in the balcony. Illumination was by a series of stepped troughs which held concealed lighting.
The Odeon closed on 25th February 1961 with Jack Lemmon in “The Wackiest Ship in the Army” and Phillip Carey in “The Trunk”. It was reconstructed internally with the stalls floor being leveled and the balcony extended forward to the proscenium arch. It re-opened as a Top Rank Bowl on 14th August 1961. The 10 pin bowling craze did not last long and soon the building became vacant and unusued.
It was sold to the MFI furniture store company in July 1970 and converted into one of their stores. In recent years (from at least 1996) it has become a Queenstyle Carpet Centre store, and the former stalls level is now in use as a Lidl Supermarket.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater