51 Canada Grove,
3 people favorited this theater
Built in 1885 as the Assembly Rooms it was designed by architect Arthur Smith. In around 1905 it was known as the Queens Hall and some film shows and other entertainments were being held here.
It was opened as a full time cinema known as the Picturedrome on 5th July 1918 with the Cecil Hepworth film “Boundry House” starring Alma Taylor. The conversion had been carried out by architect and owner Peter Dulvey Stonham. A seating capacity of 662 was given and through most of its cinematic life it has been operated by Independent exhibitors and small circuits.
On 1st July 1983 it was taken over by the Classic Cinemas chain and re-named Classic. They were taken over by Cannon Cinemas in 1989 and it was re-named Cannon, later becoming part of the MGM cinemas chain, but retaining the Cannon name. At sometime during these years the building was twinned, and it was operating as a cinema and bingo hall. It then became an ABC cinema.
It was recently operated by ReelTime Cinemas, an independent chain who operate ten cinemas in Southern England and was re-named Picturedrome Cinema again, screening movies in two auditoriums. In the spring of 2007 it was taken over by Picturedrome Electric Theatre Company and in 2008, work began on a renovation programme. On 26th March 2015 a 3rd screen seating 33 was opened in the octagonal tower on the front of the building.
On 23rd July 2009, the Picturedrome was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater