22 N. Seventh Street,
8 people favorited this theater
The Academy Theatre opened inside the old and remodelled Shubert Theatre which was so completely refurbished it requires its own entry in the Cinema Treasures listings.
The Shubert Theatre originally opened in 1910 seating around 1,600 and in the mid-1930’s, it was renamed the Alvin Theatre and presented films, live theater and finally strip shows.
It was remodeled by Ted Mann in 1957, to the plans of architectural firm Liebenberg & Kaplan, and reborn as the Academy Theatre — a popular 70mm roadshow house. It opened with “Around the World in 80 Days” in Todd-AO.
At that time, it had about 800 seats and remained one of the main roadshow houses in the Twin Cities until that form of distribution/exhibition fell out of favor.
It closed in 1983 and remained vacant until 1999 when the whole theater, minus the stage house, was literally moved a block and half away to make room for a major entertainment complex.
Today the Academy Theatre, generally referred to as the Shubert Theatre once again, sits awaiting a restoration as a venue for dance and music presentations.
The group heading its resurrection, Artspace, is still trying to raise money to restore the theatre.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater