Lincoln Square Theatre
W. Washington Street and S. Illinois Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened in 1908 as the Family Theatre, it was renamed the Rialto Theatre on July 2, 1916, and in 1923 became the Lincoln Square Theatre.
The first known charge of showing an obscene film in Indianapolis was while the theatre was known as the Rialto Theatre. As President of the Indianapolis Church Federation a Mr. M.C. Pearson saw the film and demanded the court to take action. A Jury reviewd the movie on Oct 2, and deamed the film not obscene. The film then played for two weeks following the decision.
The theatre had two entrances, one being on Kentucky Avenue and the other on South Illinois Street. The Family Theatre used both entrances but the Rialto Theatre and the Lincoln Square Theatre used the entrance on Kentucky Avenue. As the Kentucky Theatre it was one of the leading vaudeville theatres during its prime.
Could not find a time line as to when the theatre was closed or demolished.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater