136 W. Washington Street,
8 people favorited this theater
The revived Indiana Theatre is a former movie palace which opened on June 18, 1927 with 3,313 seats, and it once housed bowling alleys and billiards in its basement and the Spanish/Atmospheric style Indiana Roof Ballroom upon its roof (which had its own entrance at 140 W. Washington Street). At some point during its history, the Indiana Theatre was modified to allow for showings of Cinerama movies.
But in 1980, the theatre became the home of the Indiana Repertory Theatre. To accomodate the theatre group, the house was split in half, and the balcony was made into a second theatre. Thankfully, the alterations did not destroy the theatre’s luxurious, upstairs Spanish/Atmospheric style ballroom. Architect for the alterations was Evans Woolen. It reopened October 24, 1980.
Also of interest, the theatre’s original organ, a 3 manual/18 rank Barton, is now owned by the Central Indiana Theatre Organ Society and was installed in the Warren Center for the Performing Arts in Indianapolis.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater