1 person favorited this theater
The White Theatre was probably the oldest movie theatre in Salinas. It opened about 1910 and pre-dated the newer version (1916) of the Brown’s Opera House a few doors north on Main Street.
The White Theatre had long since ceased operations as a movie theatre. In its last years, the buidling was used as a men’s clothing store. The interior was remarkably intact. The interior was very simple and had little in the way of bas relief decoration. Presumably there was some stencil painting, but that had long since been covered with new paint. The proscenium opening was still in place as was the stage (converted to a manager’s office.)
The White Theatre building was constructed of unreinforced masonry brick. The structure was demolished to make way for the new Maya Cinemas 14. The White Theatre is not to be confused with the Brown’s Opera House/(1920) T & D/Crystal Theatre that was just north of the White Theatre and was also demolished to make way for the Maya Cinema 14 structure.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater