Strand Theatre

205 N. Washington Street,
Owosso, MI 48867

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

Strand Theatre, Owosso, Michigan in 1916

Viewing: Photo | Street View

Located on Washington Street near Exchange Street. The Owosso Opera House was opened by 1894. By 1909 it had been renamed Owosso Theatre. It was remodeled in 1916 and became the Strand Theatre. The Strand Theatre is shown as seating 603 and closed in the 1945 Film Daily Yearbook.

Contributed by Bryan Krefft

Recent comments (view all 6 comments)

Ken Roe
Ken Roe on January 31, 2006 at 11:42 pm

Listed in Film Daily Yearbook; 1941 and 1943 editions as (Closed). In the 1950 edition of F.D.Y. it was open.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2006 at 2:18 pm

From the Internet Movie Database:

Back to God’s Country (1919)

Trivia: Critically ill, lead actor Ronald Byram left the shoot during the first two weeks and was replaced by Wheeler Oakman. It is probable that it is Byram in the close-ups in the sledge in the final chase scenes. Roy Laidlaw is frequently but erroneously referred to as Ralph Laidlaw in the trade press of the time. Edna Shipman did not act in this film as is sometimes claimed. The film opened at the Strand Theater in Owosso, Michigan where it played for three days.

kencmcintyre
kencmcintyre on February 1, 2006 at 2:22 pm

Here is a link with a photo of the rear of the theater:
View link

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on June 30, 2012 at 12:31 am

A history of Genesee County published in 1916 features a biographical sketch of Flint, Michigan, architect George J. Bachmann, and mentions the Strand Theatre at Owosso as one of his works. Bachmann would later design the Capitol Theatre (Lebowsky Center) as well. The August 19, 1916, issue of The Moving Picture World said that the new Strand Theatre in Owosso had been opened on July 6.

CharmaineZoe
CharmaineZoe on February 22, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Opened in July 1916 it was on the site of the old Owosso theatre, a legitimate house for half a century. Seated 602 & had 2x Motiograph projectors.

Source and more 1916 info at : archive.org/stream/movingpicturewor30newy#page/241/mode/1up

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on August 17, 2017 at 2:48 pm

Here is an item from the April 15, 1916, issue of The Moving Picture World:

“OWOSSO, MICH. — Eugene Brewer and Dr. G. N. Finch, who leased the Owosso theater, have remodeled the building and renamed it the Strand. The structure is now a modern theater and moving picture house. New upholstered chairs installed; projecting machines; rotary converter; screen; scenery curtain; heating system, etc. The house has seating capacity of 640.”
An item about the project in the February 15 issue of the same publication had said that the Owosso Theatre was to be remodeled as a ground-floor house at a cost of $15,000. Gus Hill’s 1914-1915 theater directory lists the Owosso Theatre as an upstairs house with 781 seats. The 1909-1910 Cahn guide lists the Owosso Theatre with 822 seats. A 1907 state directory lists the Owosso Opera House, no capacity given, and an 1897 directory lists an 800 seat Salisbury Opera House at Owosso. The 1894 Donaldson guide lists the 800 seat Owosso Opera House.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater