229 S. Broadway,
9 people favorited this theater
Until 1944 the town was named Marshfield. With beautiful Egyptian architecture throughout, this theatre was a real wonder to behold.
Built by Harry C. Noble in 1922 as the large Motor Inn Garage and Service Station. Harry C. Noble hired architect Lee Arden Thomas to convert it into the 1,274-seat Egyptian Theatre which opened in November 1925 with Norma Talmadge in “Graustark”. The interior decorations were by B.F. Shearer & Company of Seattle, who were working with Carl Berg, an expert in Egyptian design. The classic Egyptian Theatre still has its original 10-rank Wurlitzer Hope-Jones Unit Orchestra organ which was opened by organist Rex Stratton. The theatre still retains all of its original vaudeville backdrops and working stage.
The balcony was divided into two seperate auditoriums on May 12, 1976, but the main auditorium remained much the same way it has always been with the exception of new seats and speakers.
Each year they had a Christmas pipe organ concert along with a brass band on stage. The concert was incredibly popular.
In late-November 2005, after 80 years, the Egyptian Theatre showed its last film. There was talk of a legitimate theater company taking over the building, but nothing happened.
In 2007, the Egyptian Theatre reopened for movies, screening films more than five years old. They are projected via a Sony digital projector and the restoration work on the building continues. It was closed suddenly in March 2011, when the city authorities discovered structural problems. Repairs were carried out and the Egyptian Theatre re-opened June 20, 2014.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater