310 W. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
In 1906 Adolph Zukor opened Oklahoma City’s Dreamland Nickelodeon and Ballroom. This was before he teamed up with Jesse Lasky in 1912 to form Famous Players-Paramount.
By 1919 the Dreamland Theatre had switched over to Paramount features. At that time the massive upstairs ballroom was ripped out to expand balcony space, a flashy new marquee was installed, and the name changed to Capitol Theatre from March 13, 1921 when it reopened with Agnes Ayers in “Forbidden Fruit”.
Towering so high above Capitol Theatre’s facade the tall upright sign was actually a combination upright and roof sign.
Providing mood music during silent pictures the Capitol Theatre pit orchestra was the finest in Oklahoma City, and a separate Paramount Jazz Band performed on stage during intermissions. It was equipped with a Hope-Jone pipe organ.
Eventually real estate which the Capitol Theatre occupied, became more valuable than theatre use could support, and in 1938 Zukor (who still personally owned the lot) razed the Capitol Theatre to lease the space to a department store concern.
After the Capitol Theatre closed, its expensive signage moved over to dress up Paramount’s southside Circle Theatre (1928-1982).
Check out the site below to view a 1917 photo of the Dreamland Nickelodeon.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater