416 W. Muhammad Ali Boulevard,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Walnut Street Theatre opened in Louisville on August 29, 1910 as a vaudeville house. The theatre was strongly believed to be one of the early vaudeville houses designed by John Eberson. Research of records indicate that he was the architect along with the firm of McDonald and Dodd. The theatre is described as composed of brick with decorative ornament in stone and colored tile or polychromatic terracotta. The building is a three story structure of eclectic style. Classical and arts and crafts motifs are both present in the facade.
The theatre changed hands several times as after vaudeville houses became less popular. In 1942 it became know as the Scoop Theatre and at first showed only newsreels. A broadcasting studio was set up on the first floor which broadcast news into the theatre. The canopy was replaced by a more standard marquee.
The building is currently undergoing a renovation to restore the first floor facade to be more in line with the orginal design. There is also windows being added down the side so light can reach the offices. The building has a tunnel through part of the first floor which is used by cars to reach a parking structure behind the building. This adaption was a creative way of keeping the building from the wrecking ball.
The building was listed on the National Register on Historic Places in 1978.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater