Richmond Community Theatre

111 E. Washington Street,
Rockingham, NC 28379

Unfavorite No one has favorited this theater yet

| Street View

The Richmond Theatre was opened in 1930 under the Wilby-Kincey Theatre Corporation. It was at that time the only indoor movie theatre in town until it closed in 1964.

In 1964, it was renamed Strand Theatre, and remained that way until closing in 1975, when it was acquired during the late-1960’s by Charlotte based Eastern Federal (who also owned and operated the Richmond Plaza Cinema off Highway 74).

The establishment is still in operation as the Richmond Community Center.

Contributed by Lost Memory, Raymond

Recent comments (view all 2 comments)

raysson
raysson on March 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm

It was formerly The Richmond Theatre which opened in 1930 with a seating capacity of 700 that was operated by Wilby-Kincey Theatres.
The Richmond was in business from 1930 until 1964. In 1964,the management changed the name to the Strand Theatre,which was still a 700 seat cinema which Wilby-Kincey operated until the late 1960’s when it was acquired by Charlotte based Eastern Federal Corporation.
The Strand closed in 1975. By the late 1990’s,the Strand was saved from destruction and was turned into a performing art house and live theater. Today,it is known as the Richmond Community Theater.

Joe Vogel
Joe Vogel on November 4, 2014 at 3:30 pm

The Richmond Theatre was remodeled and enlarged in 1935, according to this item from the April 24 issue of Motion Picture Daily:

“Rebuild at Rockingham

“Charlotte, N. C, April 23. — H. C. Wall is modernizing the Richmond at Rockingham, N. C. The seating capacity will be doubled to 855. New chairs will be installed and posts will be eliminated. The lobby is being widened from seven to 18 feet.”

Mentions of the Richmond’s older rival, the Star Theatre, which had been in operation at least as early as 1917, soon vanished from the local newspaper. Henry C. Wall was still operating the Richmond in 1940, when another house (possibly the Star reopened and renamed) called the Strand was also in operation. That year, Wall opened a second house, called the Little Theatre, giving Rockingham three movie houses.

You must login before making a comment.

New Comment

Subscribe Want to be emailed when a new comment is posted about this theater?
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater