1 person favorited this theater
This imposing building was errected in 1875 and at first was used as an aquarium and later in the main hall for summer shows, pantomimes and roller skating. It underwent a re-build by local architects Bottle & Olley in 1882 and re-opened in 1883.
This brought about use as a theatre and many famous artists appeared here; Lily Langtree, Helen Terry and Oscar Wilde. By 1914 it was screening films as part of the Variety programmes. In the 1920’s it had converted fully into a cinema and was still known as the Royal Aquarium with a seating capacity of 1,500.
A dining room at the rear of the building was converted into a live theatre known as the Little Theatre and this added to the amenities of the building. In January 1970 the Little Theatre was converted into the Little Cinema and a disco opened in another space – the building became known for a while as the 3 in 1.
In July 1982 the main hall was re-named Royalty Cinema and seating was now provided for 1,180 with the Little Cinema seating 264.
In recent years the building has been re-named again and is now known as the Hollywood Cinema, first with 4 screens which seat 500, 250, 200 and 200 and a fifth screen has now been added
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater