Agate Street, Splottlands,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The enormous Splott Cinema advertised “over 2,000 seats”, all of which were on one floor.
It had begun on 16th May 1913 as a smaller 750 seat cinema. It was extended and modified in the 1920’s with a planned balcony which does not appear to have been completed.
The arrival of sound brought about a major re-build by local architect William S. Wort who worked on several of the Splott Circuit cinemas in the next few years. He had rebuilt the New Imperial Cinema in 1934 for Max Corne, and was then employed to plan the substantial works to convert it into an Odeon soon afterwards.
The Splott Cinema proudly boasted that it was the first cinema to be built for “talking picture” in Cardiff. Sadly, it was also one of the first to close for bingo when the game was legalised in 1960.
Unlike many early bingo halls, the Splott was very successful and continued in business, albeit under several owners/names, including a Top Rank Bingo Club, a Mecca Bingo Club. It was closed in June 2009 as a Rive Bingo Club.
The empty building was destroyed by fire on 23rd February 2015.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater