1751 Curtis Street,
1 person favorited this theater
The Rivoli Theater opened on October 5, 1912, almost exclusively for the showing of motion pictures. Originally called The Paris, and later owned by the Fox Corporation, it was one of the brightest among its neighbors, illuminated with over 2,000 exterior lights reflecting off its facade of white terra cotta. It had a seating capacity of 2,300.
Curtis Street was known then as Denver’s “Great White Way” for its many theaters, from 15th Street north to 19th Street. It was also touted as the “best lit street in the nation” because of the thousands of electric lights that were emblazoned across the exteriors of these fanciful structures. Its name was changed from the Paris in 1918, when the theater was acquired by the owners of the nearby Strand and Isis theaters.
The Rivoli Theater was closed in the mid-1930s and the building was leveled in the 1940s for a parking lot. The multi-story Qwest Building now occupies the site.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater