La Paloma Theatre
471 South Coast Highway 101,
6 people favorited this theater
Built in 1927/1928 by Frank E. Brown as a silent movie house with 540 seats in orchestra and a small balcony levels. The architect was Edward J. Baum. It was formally opened on February 11, 1928 with a showing of the first ‘talking’ motion picture in the San Dieguito area “The Cohens and Kelleys in Paris”. The gala event was attended by Hollywood starlet and soon to be Academy Award winner Mary Pickford. It has been rumored that she rode her bicycle all the way to La Paloma Theatre from the Fairbanks Ranch for the event. Charlie Chaplin once performed here.
The La Paloma(The Dove) Theatre was one of the first to show ‘Talkies’. Talking pictures premiered in 1927 with the Warner Bros. film “The Jazz Singer” starring Al Jolson. Making the transition from silent pictures to ‘talkies’ didn’t happen overnight, so the La Paloma Theatre was also equipped with a beautiful pipe organ, a standard piece of equipment during the Silent era. Films in the early days of motion pictures were usually preceded by a vaudeville stage act, and La Palmoa Theatre was well suited for that.
The La Paloma Theatre is currently used for live performances, and over the years many performers have graced the stage of the La Paloma Theatre. Musical artists as diverse as Loreena McKennitt, Nickel Creek, Ralph Stanley, Jerry Garcia and Eddie Vedder. There are still midnight perfomances of “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” movie on Fridays. Regular screenings of independent movies are another part of the programming.
The La Paloma Theatre is a big part of Encinita, and hosts many community and City functions throughout the year.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater