771 E. Long Street,
9 people favorited this theater
The Ogden Theatre & Ballroom opened on November 26 (Thanksgiving Day) 1928. It was equipped with a Robert-Morton 3 manual 9 rank theatre pipe organ. It was an African-American theatre. Following refurbishment it reopened as the Lincoln Theatre on June 15, 1938 with Edmund Lowe in “Murder on Diamond Row”.
By 1978 it had been closed for several years and was deteriorating, but it wasn’t until 1990 that work began on renovating the building. The Lincoln Theatre became eligible in 1992 for listing in the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for its association with the cultural history of the African-American community in Columbus. The building was developed by an African-American fraternal organization; constructed by an African-American construction company; managed by an important local African-American entrepreneur; and was a center for stage and screen entertainment for Columbus' African-American population for decades. It is one of the best remaining vestiges of early 20th century African-American history in the city.
The Lincoln Theatre reopened 25th May 2009, after renovations and restorations had been carried out
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater