Cento Cedar Cinema
38 Cedar Alley,
3 people favorited this theater
The building was originally built in 1919 as a grocery store. In 1938, it was still a Safeway store. A Chinese family operated a family grocery store in the building until January 1955 when it was taken over by Hans H. Hammann & his brother Detlef K. Hammann. It was gutted and converted into a movie theatre.
The entrance was switched from 1031 Post Street to a new entrance on 38 Cedar Alley. On August 20, 1965, the Cedar Alley Cinema was opened with Marcello Mastroianni in “8 ½”. Later, for legal reasons, the name was changed to Cento Cedar Cinema. Mr Hammann states that the cinema had normal projection, and not a rear projection system, as had been thought.
The Cento Cedar Cinema was leased to Marge & John Buckley in 1972, and was sold to them in 1974. They later relocated to another site in San Francisco and the building was sold to an architect, who converted it into his home.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater