7 High Street,
2 people favorited this theater
The Picture House opened on 28th September 1914 with “England’s Menace”. It was described as ‘sumptuous inside’ and it soon became the premier cinema of the town. It was designed by architect E.H. Walker who gave it a Tudor Revival style exterior and an Egyptian style interior. Seating was provided for 1,222. There was also a cafe.
It was taken over by Associated British Cinemas(ABC) from June 1929 and it became the first cinema in Doncaster to show ‘talkies’ when Al Jolson starred in “The Singing Fool” from 5th August 1929.
ABC continued to operate it until it closed on 28th October 1967. A new developement had been built in Cleveland Street which contained a new 1,277 seat cinema that opened as the ABC, replacing the Picture House. The Picture House was converted into a bingo club from December 1967. The auditorium was demolished around 2005. In 2016 the foyer is in use as a hairdresser & beauty salon.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater