12 Hall Gate,
2 people favorited this theater
The Ritz Super Cinema opened on 26th November 1934 with Carl Brisson and Victor McLaglen in “Murder at the Vanities” & Randolph Scott in “The Last Round-Up”. It was built as an independently operated cinema and had the extra facilities of a restaurant and ballroom. It had a rather narrow street presence on Hall Gate and entrance to the cinema auditorium was via a long passage. The facade was clad in Vitrolite glass panels in yellow, green & black. The proscenium opening was 34 feet wide with a stage 36 feet deep, there were nine dressing rooms.
From 2nd April 1955 it was taken over by the Rank Organisation and closed for a month for alterations to be carried out. These entailed a new facade to the cinema, new seats and a CinemaScope screen being fitted as well as improvements to the ventilation system. It re-opened on 24th May 1955 as the Odeon with Bing Crosby in "The Country Girl".
The Odeon was further modernised in 1969, but after the Gaumont had been tripled in 1973, it closed on 7th July 1973. The auditorium was demolished for a car park, while the narrow frontage remained for several more years looking increasingly shabby. It too has since been demolished and the entire site is used for car parking.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater