3 people favorited this theater
Originally on this site was the Majestic Cinema. The Gaumont Palace Theatre in Hall Gate at the corner of Thorne Road, Doncaster opened on 3 September 1934, having been designed by W. E. Trent and W. Sydney Trent. It had 2,020 seats and a full stage 67 feet wide, a flytower and 11 dressing rooms. It was equipped with a Compton 3Manual/10Rank organ, with an illuminated console on a lift. There was also a large cafe/restaurant.
The Art Deco style auditorium was extremely elegant with panelled walls, a curvaceous ceiling with lighting troughs, and a noted painted safety curtain by artist Frank Barnes, depicting the railway industry prevalent in the town. During the late 1960’s and thoughout the 1960’s the Gaumont staged many ‘pop’ concerts, including, Buddy Holly, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones. Although it was modernised in 1964, there is much of the original still remaining.
It became the Odeon, one of the last Gaumonts to lose its name, in 1987. This was long after the theatre had been tripled in 1973, with two mini-cinemas under the balcony (seating 144 each) and the main screen with a still impressive 1,003 seats in the former circle and front stalls. This was to retain the use of the large stage.
In 2007 this is still open and still a three-screen operation, seating has been reduced to 975 in screen 1, although screens 2 (159 seats) and screen 3 (161 seats) have had a few extra squeezed in.
The Odeon was closed on 10th April 2008 with the final film screened being Sean Faris in “Never Back Down”. It has been sold to a local company Lazarus Properties, who specialize in town centre re-developments. They had no plans for use of the building at the time of closure, but in February 2009, plans were proposed to demolish and build a casino.
Demolition was in October/November 2009.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater