Tatler Cinema Club
16 Albert Road,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Opened as the Theatre Royal on 7th December 1882, the local architectural firm of Kemp, Welsh & Pindar were responsible for this live theatre. Internal decorations were by Walter Bevis to the designs of R.T. Sims of London. In 1887 it was converted into the Town Hall. In 1892 it was converted back into theatre use again and had 1,100 seats, re-named Bournemouth Theatre & Opera House. It was screening Bioscope films as part of the programme by 1912. It operated into the early-1940’s when it then became a services club, but suffered fire damage in 1943. By 1947 part of the building was operating as the Premier News Theatre and was still open in 1954.
It was reconstructed and re-opened in 1949 as the New Theatre Royal. In July 1962 it converted into a dual-purpose cinema and bingo club and was re-named Curzon Casino Cinema. In 1971 the auditorium was twinned with a cinema operating in the former upstairs area and a Vogue Bingo Club in the former stalls area. The cinema was screening adult porn films and was known as the Tatler Cinema Club.
The Tatler Cinema Club closed in 1982 and this part of the building has remained un-used for many years. In 2004 it operated briefly as the Mine nightclub. The former bingo club in the downstairs stalls area is still in use, now as a casino which uses the former stage door entrance at the rear of the building in Yelverton Road. In October 2016 the building is offered ‘For Sale’. The exterior of the building is Grade II Listed.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater