10 Christchurch Road,
3 people favorited this theater
Built for the Oscar Deutsch; Odeon Theatres Ltd. chain, the Odeon Bournemouth (aka locally as Odeon Lansdowne) opened on 7th August 1937 with Charles Boyer in "History Is Made At Night".
The entrance to the cinema was set in the centre of two adjoining blocks of apartment and retail units that were completed after the cinema opened. There was a protruding slender fin feature which had the ‘Odeon’ name located twice on both sides. The large auditorium was hidden from view behind the four storey high flats and shop units. The Odeon was located some distance from the the main town centre in the Landsdowne district of the town.
The inside of the auditorium was decorated in an Art Deco style which was dominated by a series of stepped sufaces that contained concealed lighting. Seating was provided for 1,336 in the stalls and 642 in the circle. There was a cafe and a large free car park provided and the stage facilities included two dressing rooms. Provision was made for an organ to be installed, but the Odeon was never equipped with an organ.
The Odeon closed on 16th January 1974 with Linda Marlowe in "Big Zapper" and “The Conspiracy”. It was converted into a Top Rank Bingo Club which continues today operated as a Gala Bingo Club.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater