Woodville Road, Cathays,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Built in 1913 the Coronet Electric Theatre was a simple one floor hall for which plans survive but very little else. It had a proscenium which was 16feet wide.
Known as the Cosy Coronet Cinema in 1924 it was later re-furbished and became the New Coronet Cinema.
When the local press carried large amounts of cinema advertising and a review page, the Coronet hardly ever advertised its programme and must have had loyal local patrons from the Cathays area who supported the Coronet which had been a family-run business from the early 1930’s.
Regular advertising appears by the 1950’s re-runs were the usual fare shown on a "Panoramic" screen (though this may not have been CinemaScope based on the films advertised)
Advertising suddenly stopped in 1957 and it was reported some time later that the proprietor had been taken ill and a manager had been taken on. However it appears that the business was sold to Jackson Withers and it was closed. It lay derelict for several years and was demolished. In March 1974 a petrol station opened on the site. Today the site has been re-developed for housing.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater