El Rey Theatre
226 S. Main Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
Originally at this address was the Hotel Knowles which was built and opened just prior to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. The Knowels Hotel collapsed, but was soon rebuilt and was eventually known as the Gravenstein Hotel. It was transformed into the Royal Theatre, which opened September 22, 1927. The opening movie was Bebe Daniels in “Swim Girl, Swim” and also starred Gertrude Ederle, the first woman to swim the English Channel. The support was the silent cartoon “Koko Plays Pool”.
The Royal Theatre was closed in late-1931. It reopened as the El Rey Theatre on April 7, 1932, with Marie Dressler in “Emma”. It was sold in 1937 and was remodeled. The El Rey Theatre was closed in 1949 (when the new Analy Theatre opened on N. Main Street operated by the owners of the El Rey Theatre).
The El Rey Theatre reopened for a very brief time afterwards.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater