Mauch Chunk Opera House
14 W. Broadway,
1 person favorited this theater
Opened in 1882, the Mauch Chunk Opera House was designed by Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton. The name of the borough of Mauch Chunk was changed to Jim Thorpe after the athlete’s 1953 death. The opera house initially housed a concert hall, originally seating over 900, on the second floor and a farmer’s market on the first floor.
In 1927, the Comerford Amusement chain took over the Mauch Chunk Opera House on a 30 years lease as a movie theater, renaming it the Capitol Theatre. The operated it until 1957 when it was closed. It was taken over by volunteers and continued to operate until 1962. Afterward the building was used as a warehouse.
In 1975, the Mauch Chunk Opera House/Capitol Theatre was acquired by the Mauch Chunk Historical Society and today functions as a venue for concerts and other live entertainment as well as screenings of classic movies.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater