No one has favorited this theater yet
Built on the site of the 300 seat, Madame Tussaud’s Cinema which was opened in 1909 and was destroyed by fire in 1925. Opened on 26th April 1928 with Maria Corda in “Helen of Troy”. It was adjacent to the new Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum which also contained a restaurant and dance hall. The cinema entrance was to the immediate West of the building almost adjacent to Baker Street railway/tube station.
Seating was provided in stalls and circle levels and the cinema was equipped witrh a Wurlitzer model F theatre organ. John Maxwell, of Associated British Cinemas(ABC) became chairman of the Madame Tussaud company in February 1929 and the cinema was booked by ABC (but not operated by them).
It was destroyed by German bombs during the Blitz in on the night of 9th/10th September 1940. The main waxworks part of the building was not so badly damaged. Later the London Planetarium was built on the cinema site; the Planetarium building has since been incorporated into Madame Tussaud’s and no longer is used for shows based on astronomy. It is now referred to a the Sky Dome and features an animated programme about celebrities.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater