Classic Baker Street
96-100 Baker Street,
No one has favorited this theater yet
The Classic Cinema was the only cinema that Classic Repertory Cinemas built, all others in this small chain were take-overs. It was specifically designed as a luxury cinema in which to see repertory (old ‘classic’) films.
The Classic opened on 23rd October 1937 with a revival of Gary Cooper in “Mr. Deeds Goes To Town”. The cinema was designed in a streamlined Art Deco style by noted cinema architect J. Stanley C. Beard and Bennett. Seating was provided for 309 in the stalls and 180 in the balcony.
The head office of Classic Repertory Cinemas was located in the building, so presentation and standards were always excellent.
The Classic Cinema closed on 24th March 1973 with Dustin Hoffman in “Straw Dogs”. The building was demolished and the new building which was erected contained retail use on the ground floor, offices above and two basement cinemas which opened on 2nd March 1978 as the Sherlock Holmes Centa 1 & 2 (later known as the Screen on Baker Street) and today known as the Everyman Baker Street.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater