2 people favorited this theater
The Regal Cinema was built for the Cheshire County Cinemas circuit and opened on 28th January 1939 with Vivien Leigh in "Storm in a Teacup". The auditorium was in a stadium design (with no overhanging balcony) and had a seating capacity of 1,059. Decorative scroll-work was on the walls and the ceiling contained cove lighting. An unusual feature of the building was that it was built on piles, due to subsidence from former salt mines which are underneath the town.
In the 1970’s a second screen was built adjacent to the main one and this seated 200. By this time seating in the main original auditorium had been reduced down to 927.
The Regal Cinema was closed on 6th January 2007 with a charity presentation of "Grease" starring John Travolta. Later, all contents of the building were auctioned off. Shortly after closure the building was used as a location shoot for the horror film "Dead City" which is set in an abandoned cinema. The Regal Cinema was demolished in Spring of 2013.
Just login to your account and subscribe to this theater